Friday, May 5, 2017

Looking for Even More Greaders


I decided to merge two words - readers and greedy - greaders.

Greaders are people so hungry for knowledge in one area that they cannot get enough.

I knew Gibbon's Decline and Fall was a great history of the decline of the Roman Empire. When I had to teach the relationship between early Christianity, the Byzantine Empire, and Islam, I could not read enough about it. I was gready, racing through large and multi-volume treatments.

I had no particular hunger for Gibbon until students began asking more and more questions about how these things developed. I had to teach several world religions in five week sessions.

Likewise, European novels. There are many famous authors, excellent writers. But why would I read them? One school began giving me classes in literature to teach. Indifference turned to long sessions of reading, one book a day. But that was when I could read a lot and grade on the same day.

Disturbances make us gready in the area of Biblical doctrine. Therefore, those disruptions are really quite good for all involved, if they see the purpose. Paul said there must be divisions and heresies. Luther said the same in different words. Opposition proves what is good.

I appreciate hearing from so many greaders, who want to know where the best Lutheran books are, who ask me to write more about certain topics. Some upcoming booklets will be about:

  • Butchering the New Testament Text - The "Conservative" Lutheran Swindle
  • Zwingli/Calvin as the Founders of Protestant Errors

Titles are suggested and topics move and down the list. The NT text is #1 at the moment because it is a topic little known by pastors and even less known by the laity.

Two readers have put together a complete set of Lenki's New Testament Commentaries for the computer. Thank you Zach Engelman and Mystery Man. Lenski is public domain, so it can be freely shared as PDFs. If you need a set, let me know, and I will contact them for you. There are various ways to share them.

If you want a DropBox invite (free large file sharing) let me know, too. I use DropBox for moving large files and for storing things as a secondary backup.

greg.jackson.edlp@gmail.com

Cole's The Course of Empire.
This one in the series is called Destruction.